A long time ago, I wasn’t cool, stylish or attractive. I was a nerdy, skinny middle-schooler who played in the band, loved the math team and had no idea how to look great in glasses.
I’ll level with you. My specs were HUGE and ugly. Thankfully, I can afford better ones now because let’s face it – no one looks good in cheap oversized spectacles. But… is it possible to look AMAZING in glasses?
The answer is a resounding yes and in this article I’m going to tell you how to look great in glasses.
Here’s what we’re going to cover:
- Own the look
- Buy your glasses online
- Find the right frame for your face
- Own multiple frames
- Protect your glasses
How To Look Great In Glasses #1 Own The Look
It’s safe to say nowadays, men are well-aware that glasses can improve or transform your appearance. In fact, glasses make you look smarter. Don’t believe me?
Scientist Helmut Leder published a 2011 study in the Swiss Journal of Psychology titled: The Glasses Stereotype Revisited: Effects of Glasses on Perception, Recognition and Impressions on Faces. Helmut compared people who didn’t wear glasses against people who wore rimless and full-rimmed glasses.
People with full-framed glasses were considered more distinctive and were given more eye contact by study participants. These guys were also perceived as being more intelligent and more successful.
Check out the full study results here:
In other words, wear glasses and people may believe you’re more likely to succeed than others – or you’re more successful than you actually are. Does that put pressure on you? Yes. But hey, wouldn’t you rather deal with those kinds of expectations than the negative kinds?
So, where to buy those rimmed glasses?
Glasses Style Tip #2 Buy Your Glasses Online
Why waste time and effort buying glasses in a brick-and-mortar store? It’s much better to get them online these days – for the same reasons we love using eBay, Amazon and more. Here are the main incentives for purchasing glasses online:
- Lower Prices – Getting products directly from the source means saving by bypassing the middleman. For eyeglasses, you can save up to 70% off the normal retail price! This is possible because online brands can manufacture their frames at their in-house labs before customizing them to your prescription and shipping them.
- More Options – Online stores generally have a wider range of glasses. They are not restricted by shop size. Lenses available online are still designed by opticians in well-equipped labs and are just as high-quality as the ones you find in retail outlets.
- Convenience – You can search for the perfect pair online, make a purchase, and wait for it to be delivered straight to your home. The whole process doesn’t take long at all.
Just be sure any glasses you buy online come with a manufacturer’s warranty of at least a year and a solid return/refund policy.
Glasses Style Tip #3 Find The Right Frame For Your Face
Have you heard of ‘birth control’ glasses? I saw a lot when I served in the military. Cheap and functional… but unfashionable.
Don’t settle for those types. You deserve something much better. The glasses you wear every day should be an investment. You deserve a pair that functions as a stylish accessory (like a classic watch, a nice pocket square or even a bowtie).
Find the right glasses and you will feel more confident whenever you wear them, wherever you go.
The key ingredient to confidence-boosting glasses is finding a pair with a design that complements your face shape.
In general, all human faces fall into any of these categories of men’s face shapes (and it’s your job to figure out yours):
- Heart/Diamond – characterized by a large forehead, broad cheekbones, and a narrow chin. You’ll want a pair of eyeglasses with similar angles (rounder-shaped frames which are wider at the top would make a nice contrast).
- Round – describes a rounded forehead and a more circular face. You’ll want frames which put more emphasis on the width than the height. Rectangular frames would help add structure and definition to your face.
- Square – refers to a square face and jaw. You’ll want to neutralize those “extreme angles” of your face using softer, rounder frames.
- Oval – This enviable face shape would rock almost any style of glasses. But the best choice would be symmetrical frames with a rigid structure (but also have some softness with a round bottom).
Check out this detailed chart to choose the right frame for your face:
Glasses Style Tip #4 Own Multiple Frames
Let’s say you were a millionaire. Would you honestly be okay with owning one car? Probably not.
You could easily afford extra cars in case one breaks down – and they would most likely be different models. You could have a sports car for yourself, a van to transport friends and family, and maybe a stretch limo to bring to those grand events. It’s all about function and style.
So similarly, it’s good to have 2-3 eyeglasses with you at any time. You’ll never know if you end up losing a pair or you accidentally break it. You always want a backup, especially if you travel a lot like I do.
Since most men are creatures of habit, it’s normal for guys to stick to the same style of specs for 10 or 20 years. But times are always changing. And you should consider changing things up every now and then to let the world know you’re still with it.
So along with 2-3 different pairs, you should explore the idea of having multiple frames – in terms of frame material or color. Experiment with various looks and step outside your comfort zone.
What are the best frame materials for men’s glasses?
- Plastics/Nylon-based Composites (suitable for brightly-colored glasses, although painted metals are also available)
- Titanium/Titanium Alloys (popular for their lighter weight and flexibility)
- Zylonite (a lightweight material that comes in just about any color)
What are the best frame colors for men’s glasses?
- The “conservative” tones: gold, silver, fine black, brown, gunmetal
(perfect for men who frequently wear a suit and tie, or those who work in formal settings)
- More “adventurous” choices: bright colors, deep red/green/black
(for students or creative professionals who want a geeky, retro kind of look that stands out)
Glasses Style Tip #5 Protect Your Glasses
Make sure you have a sturdy protective case for your eyeglasses. Trust me – you won’t enjoy the burdens of wearing squashed or scratched glasses.
Dirty or imperfect-looking lenses can be an eyesore but they can also imply you’re a guy who doesn’t take care of himself – not very attractive.
Also remember to use a soft microfiber cloth – specifically for rubbing against your glasses. Don’t rely on your shirt or tissue paper. Cleaning your frames and lenses is a delicate task. You need careful hands and the right material to do it properly.
Always use both hands to remove your glasses from the case (this helps maintain their original shape). Finally, never store your glasses facing downward to avoid any scratches or cracks.
Click below to watch the video – 5 Tips To Look Awesome Wearing Glasses
The post How To Look GREAT In Glasses | Find The Best Men’s Eyeglasses appeared first on Real Men Real Style.
Title: How To Look GREAT In Glasses | Find The Best Men’s Eyeglasses
Sourced From: www.realmenrealstyle.com/look-great-in-glasses/
Published Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 14:51:41 +0000